The Ethiopian Athletics Federation (EAF) have announced a 40-member team that will represent the country at the 2017 IAAF World Championships in London, UK from 4-13 August.
The reigning World and Olympic record-holder in both 5,000m and 10,000m, Kenenisa Bekele, ruled himself out from the selection due to current form.
Bekele, who made his marathon debut in 2014 - winning in Paris with a course record of 2:05:04 - and triumph in Berlin with an Ethiopian record of 2:03:03 last year, told selectors he was not fit to compete in London.
In his absence, Ethiopian flag in the men’s marathon race will be carried by 2014 Dubai winner Tsegaye Mekonnen, World silver medallist Yemane Adhane, and Olympic 10,000m bronze medallist Tamirat Tola, who won in Dubai earlier this year with 2:04:11.
Mare Dibaba will use her wildcard entry as the defending champion in the women's marathon with three-time Dubai winner Aselefech Mergia.
The 2015 Tokyo marathon winner Birhane Dibaba and Toronto Marathon champion Shure Demise will make their major championships debuts at London 2017.
Chala Beyo Banned for 2 years
Meanwhile The Associated Press today reported that Ethiopian athlete Chala Beyo has been banned for two years from all competitions for attacking his coach after learning he didn't make the London-bound team.
Ethiopian Athletics Federation spokesman Sileshi Bisrat said 21-year-old steeplechase runner Beyo, who competed at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, punched coach Yohannes Mohammed when the team was announced.
The coach needed medical treatment for an injured left eye, and Bisrat says police are searching for the runner. Bisrat says Beyo was carrying a rock when he assaulted his coach, but didn't use it.
Team Ethiopia - IAAF World Championships London 2017
- 800m: Mohammed Aman, Mamush Lencho
- 1500m: Aman Wote, Samuel Berhanu, Teresa Tolosa
- 3000m steeplechase: Getnet Wase, Tesfaye Seboka, Tesfaye Diriba
- 5,000m: Muktar Endris, Solomon Barega, Yomif Kejelcha, Hagos Gebre Hiwot
- 10,000m: Abadi Hadis, Jemal Yimer, Anduamlak Belehu
- Marathon: Tamirat Tola, Tsegaye Mekonnen, Yemane Tsegaye
- 800m: Habtam Alemu, Kore Tola, Mahlet Mulugeta
- 1,500m: Genzebe Dibaba, Gudefay Tsegaye, Besu Sado, Fentu Worku
- 3000m steeplechase: Sofia Asefa, Etenesh Diro, Bertukan Fente
- 5,000m: Almaz Ayana, Genzebe Dibaba, Senbere Teferi, Letesenbet Gidey
- 10,000m: Almaz Ayana,Tirunesh Dibaba, Dira Dadi
- Marathon: Berhane Dibaba, Shure Demise, Aselefech Mergia, Mare Dibaba
- Race walking: Yehuwalaye Belete, Ayalnesh Dejene, Askale Tikesa