Ethiopia’s Muktar Edris won the men’s 5000m in a world season’s best of 12:54.83 at the 2014 DN Galan IAAF Diamond League meeting in Stockholm on Thursday.
The race started fast with a 2:33 first km. When the pacemaker dropped out at 3000m, American Galen Rupp was at the front and led for most of the last two kilometres. But in the final 400m he had to deal with an African trio of Muhtar Edris, Thomas Longosiwa (Kenya) and Caleb Nwangangi Ndiku (Kenya).
Edris ran a fantastic 55.8 last lap, with 27.3 final 200m, to seal victory in 12:54.83. The top three were under 13 minutes and Rupp finished fourth in 13:05.97.
“This is a personal best for me and the world’s best time this year so of course this is a great night for me,” said Edris.
It is all good – good race, good day, good time.
Click to start or pause
Results – 5000m Men
- EDRIS Muktar ETH 12:54.83 WL
- LONGOSIWA Thomas Pkemei KEN 12:56.16 SB
- NDIKU Caleb Mwangangi KEN 12:59.17 PB
- RUPP Galen USA 13:05.97
- SOI Edwin Cheruiyot KEN 13:07.68
- MEAD Hassan USA 13:07.81
- GEBRHIWET Hagos ETH 13:12.40
- TRUE Ben USA 13:13.33
- KOECH Isiah Kiplangat KEN 13:24.53
- LEVINS Cameron CAN 13:25.90
- GABIUS Arne GER 13:31.91
- ROBERTSON Zane NZL 13:43.19
- KIPSIRO Moses Ndiema UGA 13:44.62
BARUSEI Geofrey KEN DNF
CHERU Tesfaye ETH DNF
ESSALHI Younés MAR DNF