Kenyans Edna Kiplagat and Wilson Kipsang today claimed impressive victories at the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon in front of Buckingham Palace, London.
Kenyan Stanley Biwott finished in second position in 2.04.55 while Tsegaye Kebede of Ethiopia clocked 2.06.30 for third place.
“I feel I performed very well here,” said Kipsang, who earned a $25,000 bonus for the record. “There were a lot of strong guys and it was a tactical race. My plan worked very well.”
In the women’s race, it was a sprint finish between Kenyans Edna and Florence Kiplagat for the title. The two Kenyans battling it out in front after debutant Tirunesh Dibaba of Ethiopia fell behind after dropping her drink at a station.
Edna Kiplagat, 34, who twice finished second in the race, went one better with a winning time of 2:20:21 ahead of her compatriot Florence Kiplagat, second in 2:20:24 while Tirunesh Dibaba settled for third place in 2:20:35 – a stunning debut for the Ethiopian queen.
Two other Ethiopians Feyse Tadese (2:21:42) and Aberu Kebede (2:23:21) made up the top five.
- Kipsang, Wilson (KEN) 2:04:29
- Biwott, Stanley (KEN) 2:04:55
- Kebede, Tsegaye (ETH) 2:06:30
- Abshero, Ayele (ETH) 2:06:31
- Mekonnen, Tsegaye (ETH) 2:08:06
- Mutai, Geoffrey (KEN) 2:08:18
- Mutai, Emmanuel (KEN) 2:08:19
- Farah, Mo (GBR) 2:08:21
- Lilesa, Feyisa (ETH) 2:08:26
- Vail, Ryan (USA) 2:10:57
- Kiplagat, Edna (KEN) 2:20:21
- Kiplagat, Florence (KEN) 2:20:24
- Dibaba, Tirunesh (ETH) 2:20:35
- Tadese, Feyse (ETH) 2:21:42
- Kebede, Aberu (ETH) 2:23:21
- Augusto, Jessica (POR) 2:24:25
- Gamera-Shmyrko, Tetyana (UKR) 2:25:30
- Felix, Ana Dulce (POR) 2:26:46
- Gelana, Tiki (ETH) 2:26:58
- Kovalenko, Liudmyla (UKR) 2:31:31