South African sprinter Anaso Jobodwana, who won the men’s 100m title on Monday, completed the double with a dominant performance to win the 200m title at the 27th Summer Universiade / World University Games in Kazan, Russia on Wednesday.
Jobodwana, 20, ran away from the field in 20.00 seconds ahead of defending champion Rasheed Dwyer from Jamaica (20.23) and rising Japanese athlete Shota Izuka (20.33) while Canadian Olusegun Makinde finished fourth in 20.61 seconds.
The Jackson State University student had earlier ran an impressive 20.36 seconds to win his semi-finals.
Ivory-Coast’s 100m Bronze medalist, Hua Wilfried Serge Koffi finished 6th in 20.73 and Sibusiso Bruno Matsenjwa of Swaziland was 8th in 20.99 seconds.
Senegal’s Amadou Ndiaye took the silver medal in the men’s 400m hurdles Final clocking 49.90 seconds in a race won by Martin Kucera of Slovakia in a personal best 49.79 seconds. Highly rated South African, Pieter Christian Beneke finished a disappointing 8th position in 50.51 seconds.
South Africa’s John Robert Oosthuizen picked up the silver medal in the men’s Javelin Throw Final with a distance of 81.63 metres. And on Tuesday, his compatriot Jerry Motsau won a bronze medal in the men’s 1,500m clocking 3:39.51.
200m Men Final
- JOBODWANA Anaso RSA 20.00
- DWYER Rasheed JAM 20.23
- IIZUKA Shota JPN 20.33
- MAKINDE Oluwasegun Victor CAN 20.61
- RODNEY Brendon Justin CAN 20.72
- KOFFI Hua Wilfried Serge CIV 20.73
- KRYNSKI Kamil POL 20.94
- MATSENJWA Sibusiso Bruno SWZ 20.99
400m Men Final
- KUCERA Martin, SVK, 49.79 PB
- NDIAYE Amadou, SEN, 49.90
- DEWHURST Ian, AUS, 49.96
- KINO Tomoharu, JPN, 50.02
- SHABLYUEV Ivan, RUS, 50.11
- NOZAWA Keisuke, JPN, 50.15
- BARAK Vaclav, CZE, 50.28
- BENEKE Pieter Christian, RSA, 50.51
Javelin Throw Men Final
- TARABIN Dmitry, RUS, 83.11m
- OOSTHUIZEN John Robert, RSA, 81.63m
- AVAN Fatih, TUR, 81.24m
- LEHTOLA Sampo, FIN, 79.02m SB
- DEAN Roderick Genki, JPN, 78.21m
- GRZESZCZUK Lukasz, POL, 77.98m
- FRYDRYCH Petr, CZE, 75.69m
- ARAI Ryohei, JPN, 73.75m