Zimbabwean road running veterans Nkosiyazi Sibanda and Thabitha Tsatsa claimed victories at the 2015 Econet Wireless Victoria Falls Marathon on Sunday.
Nkosiyazi Sibanda cemented his dominance of the resort town’s marathon men’s event to win his fourth consecutive title in a time of 2:19:12.
Sibanda, who first won the Victoria Falls marathon in 2012, bettered his 2014 winning time of 2:20:58 to walk away with the $900 USD top prize.
Millen Matende of Black Rhinos clocked 2:19:59 for second place ahead of another local runner, Portipher Dombojena of Hwange Athletics Club who finished third in 2:20:39.
Matende, also from Zimbabwe, received the second prize money of $750 USD while Dombojena, who has been competing in South Africa, took home $600 USD third prize.
In the women’s 42.2km race, 42-year-old Thabitha Tsatsa romped home in 2:49:44 ahead of 18-year-old Tanzanian Shalom Mueni (2:54:07) in second and Lizih Chokore (3:01:07) in third place.
Lizih’s sister Chiedza Chokore took fourth place in 3:09:44 while defending champion Monica Kativu settled for fifth position in 3:10:46.
Zimbabwean Constance Nyasange won the women’s 21.1km half marathon in 1:16:52 ahead of compatriot Rutendo Nyahora (1:17:53) while another Zimbo runner Munjaradz Jari took the men’s 21.1km in 1:05:45 ahead of Tanzanian Panuel Mkunso (1:05:51).
Econet Victoria Falls Half Marathon 21.1km
1) Constance Nyasange (Zimbabwe) 1:16:52
2) Rutendo Nyahora (Zimbabwe) 1:17:53
3) Patience Muroke (Zimbabwe) 1:20:42
1) Munjaradz Jari (Zimbabwe) 1:05:45
2) Panuel Mkunso (Tanzania) 1:05:51
3) Isaac Mpofu (Zimbabwe) 1:06:07
Econet Victoria Falls Marathon 42.2km
1) Thabitha Tsatsa (Zimbabwe) 2:49:44
2) Shalom Mueni (Tanzania) 2:54:07
3) Lizih Chokore (Zimbabwe) 3:01:07
1) Nkosiyazi Sibanda (Zimbabwe) 2:19:12
2) Millen Matende (Zimbabwe) 2:19:59
3) Portipher Dombojena (Zimbabwe) 2:20:39