The IAAF confirmed today that Letters of Interest have been received from seven Member Federations interested in hosting the IAAF World Race Walking Team Championships and the IAAF World U20 Championships.
An accelerated bidding process was opened for the two events following the full suspension of the Russian IAAF Member Federation ARAF, who were originally set to stage both competitions.
IAAF Member Federations were formally invited to submit applications by 7 December, 2015
The interested federations are:
IAAF World Race Walking Team Championships
- Ecuador (Guayaquil)
- Italy (Rome)
- Mexico (Monterrey)
- Ukraine (Kiev)
IAAF World U20 Championships
- Australia (Perth)
- India (city to be confirmed)
- Poland (Bydgoszcz)
“The IAAF is extremely grateful to its Member Federations for their support,” commented IAAF President Sebastian Coe.
“Reallocating the race walking team and the U20 championships is of vital importance. We are safeguarding the dreams and aspirations of athletes worldwide.”
“Considering the necessary speed of the process, that seven Member Federations from five continental areas have formally expressed an interest in bidding is clear evidence that the events have appeal,” Coe added.
- 10 December 2015: Conference call for candidates (IAAF to provide supplementary information and to answer questions).
- 22 December 2015: Completed bid applications to be submitted to the IAAF.
- 23 December 2015 to 6 January 2016: Review of applications by the IAAF.
- 7 January 2016: Electronic vote by the IAAF Council on host venue. Successful candidate city announced.